Wednesday, January 21, 2015

You CAN Take It With You

I am going back to school...again. This time I am doing an online program through church that's called the Pathway Program. After I finish the Pathway Program I will be able to move on to get an online degree through BYU-Idaho. It is an amazing opportunity that couldn't have come at a better time and I am so excited for what this means for my future. The question will be, can I stay focused and do this? Right now I say, yes! I am excited and it is new so it's easy to stay focused. From experience I know that when things get boring and routine it becomes harder for me to stay on task. I feel (hope) this time will be different though. I am taking a religion class on the first half of the Book of Mormon and I have noticed a few different things. The first is how nice it has been to have the gospel of Jesus Christ integrated into my schooling this time around. It would have made a huge difference in my young adult years had I gone to one of the BYU's after high school. I never realized how natural it would feel to have the gospel at the center of my academic career. It feels as if I have found the missing piece. The second thing I have realized is that Nephi in the Book of Mormon made the choice to be positive and thankful in all he did. Growing up as a Mormon I just knew that Nephi was good and he made good choices. This past week it has occurred to me in a whole new way that Nephi's experiences weren't that different from his brother's, Laman and Lemuel. How he chose to handle these situations made all the difference. He chose to be thankful for his blessings and not focus on all that was going wrong. This is what I need to do to stay focused and on task through all of this schooling. I need to not get bogged down in the "work" and remember that I am gaining knowledge and that is so important because it's the only thing we can take with us when we leave this life.

No comments:

Post a Comment